Foster care training is a vital part of the service we give to all our carers. When you foster with us, we help you feel empowered, confident and capable in your role as a foster parent with plenty of high-quality training. We even start the foster care training process before you get your first placement so you know what to expect and feel prepared from the start.
The foster care training we recommend to you will be tailored based on your needs and the kinds of placements you’re expecting. We won’t bombard you with information. Instead, we’ll recommend courses that are highly relevant to you and easy to understand. Through quality training and support, you’ll be equipped with the knowledge and professional skills you need to feel comfortable and confident in helping your foster child.
Pre-approval foster carer training
As soon as you’ve applied to be a foster carer with us, you can start your foster carer training. While your application is reviewed, we’ll work through some basic training courses with you.
- Shared Lives – Get a better understanding of how to be a great foster parent.
- Health and Hygiene Practice
Compulsory foster carer training
Looking after a child or young person who has experienced trauma, abuse or neglect can be challenging. When you foster with us, you’ll start your carer training straight away to help equip you with the skills you need to support your foster child. All of our foster carers take this compulsory training course to help them feel prepared for their first placement. Once you’re an approved foster care, you’ll get further training through our Key Assets core curriculum.
Ongoing foster carer training
Once you’re an approved foster carer, we’ll continue to support your professional development with a range of additional training courses. We’ll recommend the training courses we think would help you most based on your foster child’s background. Ongoing foster carer training topics include:
- first aid training
- understanding sexual abuse in foster care
- protecting children and supporting carers
- safe care and allegations
- promoting positive behaviour
- attachment and the Team Parenting™ approach
- teamwork, communication and recording
- cultural awareness
- foetal alcohol syndrome
- key developmental assets training
- managing risk.
Foster carer training topics
- Child protection
- Working with children who have been abused
- Safe caring
- Understanding attachment
- Building resilience
- Understanding and managing difficult behaviour
- Managing and promoting contact
- Developing identity and self-esteem
- Valuing diversity and promoting equality
- Understanding the impact of trauma
- Carer recording
- First aid, and health and safety
- Education of fostered children/young people
- Empowering children and young people
- Preparing young people for moving on and adult independence